The Paint A Part Blog
How to Remove Dents from Car Doors
Dents in car doors are a common occurrence. They can be unsightly and even affect the resale value of your car. And let’s be honest, replacing a car door for a small dent is a pretty extreme measure. New and used car doors are expensive to replace or have professionally repaired.
If you have a small dent in your car door from a grocery cart, a bicycle mishap, or even a small fender bender, you may be able to remove it yourself with a few simple tools.
Here are some DIY methods for removing dents from car doors:
The plunger method
This method is best for small, round dents.
- Mix dish soap with water and wet the area around the dent.
- Place a plunger over the dent and press down firmly.
- Move the plunger up and down to create suction.
- If the dent pops out, hold the plunger in place for a few seconds to allow the air to escape.
The hair dryer and compressed air method
This method is best for dents that are in a metal door.
- Heat the dent with a hair dryer set to the highest heat setting.
- Immediately spray the dent with a can of compressed air.
- The cold air will cause the dent to contract and pop out.
The suction cup method
This method is best for dents that are in a plastic door.
- Purchase a suction cup dent removal tool.
- Clean the area around the dent with soap and water.
- Apply the suction cup to the dent and press down firmly.
- Move the suction cup up and down to create suction.
- If the dent pops out, hold the suction cup in place for a few seconds to allow the air to escape.
If you are not comfortable removing dents yourself, you can always take your car to a professional body shop. They will have the tools and experience to remove even the most difficult dents.
Here are some tips for removing dents from car doors:
- Work on a cool, dry day.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands.
- Be careful not to damage the paint.
- If you are using a suction cup tool, make sure the suction cup is a good fit for the dent.
- If you are using body filler, make sure to apply it thinly and evenly.
- Sand the body filler smooth before painting.
With a little patience and effort, you can remove dents from your car doors and keep your car looking its best.
Damaged Bumpers, Fenders,and Hoods
If you have unsightly and hard-to-fix dents in your fenders, bumpers, or hood, you should look at your paint and ship options like Paint A Part. There you can get replacement bumpers, fenders, and hoods that are prepainted to match the original factory paint of your vehicle and you can install them yourself. This cuts out all the middleman expenses.